Thursday, September 13, 2012

Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread


(Originally posted August 5, 2012 @ mtable.wordpress.com.)

If you follow my blog (yeah, all three of you) then you may remember this picture from last time.
See that biscuit? That's my next blog, so stay tuned!
Good news. It's next time!
Difficulty: 4 (1 = Easy, 10 = Way too effing hard to even try.)
Let me start off by saying, I miss Whole Foods. (This is going somewhere I promise!) My husband is in the military, and we were stationed at Fort McPherson in Atlanta, GA for a little over a year. There was a Whole Foods about 15 minutes from our house, and we did our grocery shopping there most weeks. I love Whole Foods for it's selection of organic food. I also, love their pre-made foods. We'd usually pick out something for dinner that night. We loved the chicken skewers and the ribs. Aside from those, one of the best things we bought there was jalapeno cornbread. So good! It was just the right amount of spicy and sweet all rapped up in a tasty cornbread package. Pure awesome. When I found this recipe, I was really hoping for something similar to that awesome.
The ingredients:
Let's cook!
The recipe says that it makes 18 biscuits. Since I was only cooking for two people, I decided to half everything. Strangely enough it made 10 biscuits instead of nine. The whole halfing everything business worked out just fine until I got to the eggs. The full recipe calls for three eggs. Halfing an egg is not easy, but I made it work. Here they are, pre-oven.
Left: Mine - Right: Une Deux Sense
Needless to say, I went with the muffin version. I put the appropriate amount of cheese in the muffins, but I forgot to put the extra on top. To be fair, I was running on about four hours of sleep that day thanks to a fussy teething baby. Plus, my son was not cooperating with my cooking plans. But we persevere! Even without the cheese on top, I'd say they came out looking pretty good.
Left: Mine - Right: Une Deux Sense
Just a warning, the recipe says if you're making muffins it should take about 15 - 20 minutes. This is either wrong, or my oven is crap because mine took 25ish minutes. As for the outcome, I'm torn. This is another one of those Pins I really wanted to like. And I did... sort of. The taste was good. Just good. Maybe it was the ratio of flour to cornmeal, but they weren't cornbread-ish enough for me. They tasted more like muffins with a hint of corn. The flavor was decent, but it wasn't awesome. They were also too salty for my taste. Let me be clear. I enjoy salt. I nearly always cook with it, so when I say something is salty, it's pretty salty. At first I thought that I had neglected to half the salt, but the original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of salt. I know I didn't put more than one teaspoon into the mix.
If I make these again, I'd half my halfed salt. But chances are I won't make this recipe again, mostly because my husband didn't like them. (He says he didn't like the jalapeno flavor.) So there you have. A solid Good.
Final Rating: 4 (1 = Bad, 10 = Explosion of Yumm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment