Thursday, September 13, 2012

Homemade French Vanilla Creamer


(Originally posted July 28, 2012 @ mtable.wordpress.com)

For my very first post ever, I’ll start with something simple.

The Pin: French Vanilla Coffee Creamer. Recipe by Mrs. Happy Homemaker
Difficulty Rating: 2  (1 = Poptart, 10 = Beef Wellington)

I wasn’t always a coffee drinker. When I was younger (in my teens) I hated it. When I got a bit older (mid 20′s), I tolerated it, but I’d still only drink it occasionally. And then 9 months ago my son was born, and caffeine became my best friend. When that cute, sleepy face wakes me up at 5 AM, sometimes the only thing that keeps me functioning is a cup of coffee with lots of sugar (yeah, the real stuff!) and Vanilla Creamer. We probably spend a small fortune on coffee creamer in my house. My husband and I both take our coffee with flavor creamer, and coupons for this delight tend to be scarce. (Or when they do put out coupons, you have to buy like four bottles just to save 50 cents. Pfft!)
When I found this recipe on Pinterest I was super excited. It’s really easy. There are only three ingredients.
  • 14oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 14oz milk (whole, lowfat, or skim – doesn’t matter)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
You just mix ‘em up and shake. So of course, I tried it.

I’d take my own picture, but a jar of white liquid is a jar of white liquid.
I tried it in three different cups of coffee. I really really wanted to like this. Really.
But I didn’t. The flavor is nothing like the store-bought brand (I usually buy Coffee Mate). It’s just off somehow. I wouldn’t mind a slightly different taste it if was good, but it wasn’t. It wasn’t sweet enough and the vanilla flavor was just… well, have you ever taken a swig of vanilla extract? It was kind of like that.
Sorry, but I’ll be sticking with my store-bought, expensive, chemical ridden creamer.

Final Rating: 3  (1 = Eww Gross!, 10 = Best thing I’ve eaten!)

No comments:

Post a Comment